What is a real plastic surgeon in Sweden
You want to be treated by the best trained doctor with the right qualifications?
In many countries it is not always clear how you can find the right doctor.
This website helps you select REAL plastic surgeons.
Real plastic surgeons have studied Medicine to become a Medical Doctor (MD), after getting that title they need additional training to become a Plastic Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeon, generally after an exam. After graduating they are registered as Plastic Surgeons at the Health Government.
In Sweden the training to become a doctor consists of:
- 5,5 years of medical studies at the Medical School of the University.
- Last exam is end of study and we receive a diploma from Medical University, but we are not recognized as a doctor with a working license.
- We need to have, after getting diploma, 18-24 months of internship (including internal medicine, surgery, psychiatry, and GP) and then we have to pass a final exam.
After then we can be recognized by the National Board of Health and Welfare as a Medical Doctor (MD) and then you are ready to work.
In Sweden the training to become a medical doctor from 2021will consist of:
- 6 years of medical studies at the Medical School of the University (to harmonize with EU) which will result in a licence to work.
Specialization in Plastic surgery is performed at one of the seven University hospitals in Sweden.
The specialization training lasts for at least 5,5 years and consists of:
- Plastic reconstructive and aesthetic surgery - 42 months
- General reconstructive plastic surgery – 27 months
- Microsurgery – 6 months
- Craniofacial surgery – 6 months
- Burns – 3 months
- Aesthetic surgery – 2 weeks
- General surgery -12 months
- Anesthesiology and intensive care - 3 months
- Orthopedic surgery/ENT surgery/ Vascular surgery – about 9 months
There are some mandatory courses related to plastic surgery (4 Nordic Courses, ABLS, Microsurgical course, flap course). In addition, there are several mandatory courses not direct related to plastic surgery.
The specialization program is made to achieve surgical skills which consist of looking, assisting, and performing of numerous surgical procedures. It is not a time oriented but a goal-oriented program and therefore decided by the supervisor and head of department when the goals are reached.
The application is sent to the National Board of Health and Welfare and external examiners (appointed by SPKF) evaluate the application and if approved you become a board-certified plastic surgeon and are registered as a specialist in Plastic surgery at the National Board of Health and Welfare.
When you are an official plastic surgeon your training does not stop, most plastic surgeons do additional Fellowships and courses to learn more about specific areas of our specialty, possible directions are:
- Aesthetic Surgery
- Hand surgery
- Breast reconstruction and oncoplasticsurgery
Depending on the help you need you might want to verify whether your doctor has done additional training, besides fellowships this can be by attending Courses, symposia and congresses.
All European countries have National Societies who represent the Plastic Surgery community. Membership of such a Society is highly recommended for REAL plastic surgeons, you can verify this in the chart of the doctor on this website.
For Sweden the National Society is:
- Svensk Plastikkirurgisk Förening (SPKF)
Membership of relevant European and International Societies shows additional Commitment to the area the plastic surgeon is most interested in. Relevant individual member Societies include (non-exhaustive list):
- European Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ESAPS)
- Rhinoplasty Society
- European Society of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery (ESPRAS)
- International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ISAPS)
REAL Plastic Surgeons summary
REAL plastic surgeons have had a thorough training, did an exam and are officially registered at the country’s Ministry of Health. They are member of a National Society and relevant (sub-)specialty societies and continue to learn their entire life.