What is a real plastic surgeon in Serbia
You want to be treated by the best trained doctor with the right qualifications?
In many countries it is not always clear how you can find the right doctor.
This website helps you select REAL plastic surgeons.
Real plastic surgeons have studied Medicine to become a Medical Doctor (MD), after getting that title they need additional training to become a Plastic Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeon, generally after an exam. After graduating they are registered as Plastic Surgeons at the Health Government.
In Serbia the training to become a doctor consists of:
- 6 years of medical studies at the Medical School of the University.
- After the University exam we receive a diploma from Medical University, but we are not recognized as a doctor with a working license.
- 6 months of internship
- Final Exam organized by the University where you study
If you pass the exam you can call yourself a doctor (MD), you will now be registered at the Ministry of Health as a doctor. Then we must be registered at the Medical Chamber of the city where you live and practice. Who will give you a license number and then you are ready to work.
But in order to become a plastic surgeon you need an additional specialist training.
You can only specialize in Private or State hospital specialized in plastic, reconstructive and aesthetic surgery which are approved by the Ministry of Health:
This specialization training lasts for 5 years (60 months) and consists of:
- Plastic reconstructive and aesthetic surgery - 30 months
- General surgery -10 months
- Orthopedic surgery with traumatology – 3 months
- Urology – 1 month
- Dermatology and Venereology- 1 month
- ENT surgery -1 month
- Anesthesiology with reanimation – 15 days
- Transfusiology - 15 days
- Microsurgery – 1 month
- Neurosurgery -1 month
- Maxillofacial surgery – 1 month
- Physical medicine and rehabilitation – 1 month
This training program is followed by an exam organized at the University where the Post Graduate School is based. It consists of three parts:
- Practical – (to perform an operation on your own)
- Written exam
- Oral exam in front of the medical commission
If you pass this exam you are a board-certified plastic surgeon and you can register your specialty at Medical Chamber.
Information in Serbian
When you are an official plastic surgeon your training does not stop, most plastic surgeons do additional Fellowships and courses to learn more about specific areas of our specialty, possible directions are:
- Aesthetic Surgery
- Hand surgery
- Breast reconstruction and oncoplasticsurgery
Depending on the help you need you might want to verify whether your doctor has done additional training, besides fellowships this can be by attending Courses, symposia and congresses.
All European countries have National Societies who represent the Plastic Surgery community. Membership of such a Society is highly recommended for REAL plastic surgeons, you can verify this in the chart of the doctor on this website.
For Serbia the National Society are:
- Srpsko Udruženje plasti?ne, rekonstruktivne i eststke hirurgije (SRBPRAS)
- Udruženje plasti?nih estetskih hirurga Srbije (SRBSAPS)
Membership of relevant European and International Societies shows additional Commitment to the area the plastic surgeon is most interested in. Relevant individual member Societies include (non-exhaustive list):
- European Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ESAPS)
- Rhinoplasty Society
- European Society of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery (ESPRAS)
- International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ISAPS)
REAL Plastic Surgeons summary
REAL plastic surgeons have had a thorough training, did an exam and are officially registered at the country’s Ministry of Health. They are member of a National Society and relevant (sub-)specialty societies and continue to learn their entire life.